Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Personal Experience With Overindulgence

I myself was overindulged as a child and am spoiled to a degree as an adult. Growing up my dad worked very hard to maintain a job or jobs, in order for us (my mom, sister and I) to have everything we wanted. I always had the coolest toys, the nicest clothes, and the the newest shoes. My dad deep down had good intentions, but had no clue he was setting the rest of the family up for failure. I feel like I need my parents help constantly and also suffer from bad nerves and depression. This is due to not being taught valuable life lessons as a child and also being able to deal with society and life on its own terms. My sister suffers from the same complex. My mom on the other hand, feels like she has to buy things to make herself feel better. She has so much stuff in her house you have to dig yourself through just to make a path. Unfortunatly, she lives a very lonely and empty life and these materialistic things do not make a difference. My dad started this vicious cycle due to his childhood. His dad died when my father was nine years old. So, his mother gave him everything and let him get away with everything in order to make him feel better. And in turn this taught him bad coping skills as well as cheating him out of valuable life lessons. My dad spoiled us to make up for him not being there as well as love lost. It is safe to say my dad had no clue when was "too much".

I need to change this viscious cycle before these traits carry over to my own children. It needs to be made a point to be aware of my childhood and try to make several different decisions and some the same when it comes to raising my own kids. I want my future children to have a chance at a healthy productive life without depending on others. I also need to steer clear of overindulgent relationships. Because I want a healthy life with healthy relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment